Welcome to DepED Community !!!

Thursday, August 1, 2019

1 dead, 7 others hospitalized after deworming


One student died while seven others were brought to the hospital after taking deworming medicines in Surigao del Norte last July 23.



According to ABS CBN report, there were more than 300 students of San Isidro Elementary School who took the deworming tablets.

Based on the report, one of the students experienced stomach ache and loss its vision, five hours after taking the medicine.

The student was immediately brought to the hospital, however, the student died immediately.

According to the family of the student, they will wait for the autopsy of the child.

The student’s adviser, Thelda Paray, said that the student informed her of experiencing stomach ache last June, however, on the day of the mass deworming the child did not fell ill.

Paray explained that before the deworming the students took their meal.

“Hindi siya nagsabi kung may ano ba sa kanyang katawan so edi normal binigyan ng gamot at may parent consent,” Paray said.

The parents were alarmed on the incident, as some of them were afraid to let their child take the medicine.

Based on the report, the sample of the medicine will undergo toxicity test under Food and Drug Administration.

According to Nida Entoc, OIC Rural Health Unit of Gigaquit, “ihold muna natin ang deworming, until such time na malaman natin ang totoong cause ng kamatayan ng bata.”



The Department of Health (DOH) is investigating the death of the student and the hospitalization of the seven others after taking the medicine. It also suspended the deworming activities in the area.

DOH also noted that the medicines are new and will expire on April 2021.

Source: MB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post